Friday, May 9, 2014

The Challenge


For me the challenge of having a blog is posting semi regularly.  I am absolutely rubbish at blogging because when I do a project I get so excited and just steam right through it totally forgetting to document my steps and then when it’s time to wear it I feel as though I need to have a proper shot, no iPhone pictures will do.  So often nothing gets documented because it seems like a giant task to accomplish.  But I want to get better at blogging because sewing without blogging buddies is lonely.  In my city we are having a major die out of sewing, and the only other person that I know that sews is my mum, but she is more into beading.  I have been a blog lurker for a long time, admiring the likes of Carolyn from Diary of a sewing fanatic, Sigrid from Sigrid Sewing Projects,  Peter from Male Pattern Boldness, Melissa from Fehr Trade, Erica from Erica B’s –DIY Style and many more.  These lovely people have both inspired and taught me to challenge myself and my style perceptions; truly I am blown away by their talent and passion for sewing.   I look to these people as inspiration to challenge myself at better blogger.

In the spirit of the above statement I wanted to document my recent sewing escapades.  I have really wanted to challenge myself with a project so I decided to embark on the Style Arc Ziggi Jacket.  First things first, I love this pattern, love love love this pattern.  It’s incredibly well drafted and all the pieces just fit.  I did have to make a few alterations, but just a full bicep and to raise the arm scythe, other than that the straight size 14 was perfect.  For the material I bought 4 luscious cherry red lambskins from Tandy Leather when they were on sale at Christmas time as my present to myself, they were still a pretty penny but good gracious it is luxurious.  The lining is a mad print on rayon that I bought from my old favorite fabric store that has since gone out of business.  The zippers were found because of prophetic dream that I had telling me that there was something waiting at value village for me (back story -  I couldn't find zippers in the color or metal that I wanted and was beginning to get desperate).    The jacket is not quite done, I just need to finish the lining but it’s so close




Next I have wanted to completely remove myself from the commercial apparel market entirely for the last few years and have been searching on instructions to make shoes.  I have finally found a company called, I can make shoes, our of London.  I have to say even though this is my first pair and they aren't even half done I LOVE MAKING SHOES.  I can feel my creativity bursting and can just imagine a closet full of my own designs.  These are going to be a flat pair of loafer, this is just the lining, the outside will be made of metallic olive green pebbly lambskin.


Lastly my sister has recently become a makeup artist and asked me to model for her.  These having nothing to do with sewing but I think they are cool and wanted to share them anyway.




That is all for now.  I do have several items on the go including some leggings, homemade bras and undies, a lace shouldered sweatshirt and some casual separates but no pictures.  As well as a competition between my mom and I over French Macaroons, I am sure that I will post some pictures of those, but it’s on between her and I.

Mame 



1 comment:

  1. Love love love the jacket, love love love the shoes and with today's creation of pistachio macaroons.....I win!

    ReplyDelete