Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Burnt Out from all this life and such


Well it’s been quite the month for me, in between shoe making and deciding that my husband needed a new suit for our annual Christmas party , I was contracted to do a rather large job.  Now generally I hate sewing for others, I really exemplify the selfish sewing motto, but when its friends or family I can’t say no.  In this regard I absolutely couldn’t say no, because not only is my client my day jobs daughter but included with the job was a trip to NYC to source fabrics.  The contact was for a 16 piece wardrobe based on the outfits of Ariana Grande, which frankly is easy because that girl loves her some circle skirts.  The only thing was that from the time that I got home to my first deliverable date was only 15 days.  So in the last 15 days I have managed to sew 2 dresses, 4 skirts, a bustier, 2 crop tops a pair of jean shorts.  I do have a second deliverable date on August 10 in which I have to complete 3 more dresses, a tutu, a peplum top and another bustier.  I am doing the final pressing and hand sewing details tonight and then I am going to deliver them all tomorrow evening and then relax for a few days.

But let me gush about New York, all I can say is that I want to move there.  The city is so vibrant and full of artistic outlets that it’s hard for me to not want to move there right now.  Total time including the flights to NYC and home was 36 hours and we didn’t end up sleeping much but we experienced a lot.  In two days we went to Times Square, The Rockefeller Centre, 5th Ave, Hell’s Kitchen, Soho and Central Park.  We ate at Guys Kitchen, Balthzars, Boqueria, The Plaza and tried Carnegies Deli right by our hotel.  Speaking of our hotel, we stayed at The London, which is quite the ritzy place for me, but also a little strange because there were celebrities staying there (Anna Paquin and some Vine guys) while we were there and thus paparazzi were staked outside the entrance.    We went to Mood, and holy cow I seriously almost fan girled when I got there, it was like a dream getting to be there and soaking in the atmosphere.  I even met the owner, who was a lovely man and obliged me a picture.  One of my travelling companions played with Swatch the dog as we shopped and was given a welcoming cuddle.   We got there a little late and only had two hours to shop so I spent all of my time scouring for the right color of pink for the dresses and didn’t really get to shop for myself or even to get to the second floor of Mood.  We were supposed to go back the second day but time just got away from us and then Manhattan started getting flooding warnings and we were worried we would miss our flight so it was missed.  I did get a few small cuts of some cotton and a piece of silk jersey but I think I could have dropped serious money there.  I didn’t even get to go see Metro textiles or B&J trimmings even though we walked right by them.  I will also say my pre-conceptions about New York were completely wrong, well except for the cabs.  When you see NYC in shows or movies, you think its dirty and that people are rude but that’s not the case, everywhere we went I found it clean, granted that may be because of the area where we were, but we did a couple of burrows but never did I feel like it was grungy.  As for the people, they were kind, helpful and sometimes brutally honest about people trying to scam tourists but honestly out all of the places that I have been I found NYC to be the best bunch of folks (I even went to Honolulu in June and found New Yorkers more kind).  But the cabs are scary, especially when you come from a small city, we were in the Holland Tunnel and I was terrified.  Not only was lane control something that almost every cabbie didn’t abide by, but speeding, cutting one another off mid intersection, rushing pedestrians and liberal use of the horn seemed more the rule than the exception.  With my day job being a paralegal for a car accident lawyer all I could think about was my day job and praying that something bad didn’t happen.  That being said though, the cabbies were very nice, the cabs were clean and it was easy to hail a cab anywhere.  I did have a secret fantasy of running into Carolyn from Diary of a Sewing Fanatic or Peter from Male Pattern Boldness, but I thought they would think I am a stalker if I ran up to them without ever having introduced myself prior, but alas the timing wasn’t right, I guess the next day was the day they were both at Mood separately but oddly during the time that we would have been there if we had gone a day later.  Getting home was a little dodgy because there was flood warnings going on throughout the city and we were flying out of Newark so it took about 2 hours to get to the airport but once there it was quick, although our flight ended up getting delayed by about an hour and damn near canceled.  Honestly we shouldn’t have left that night, the turbulence was really rough but we made it home in one piece.  But when I got home for some reason I got selected for secondary search which pissed me off.  I always declare everything, even if I am over and I am willing to pay duty.  I always keep my receipts for my purchases in an envelope ready to give any officer on a moment’s notice and in the end I was only $80 outside the exception but I guess I looked like a liar to the original agent.  When I got to secondary search the lady looked at my receipts and my luggage and said that I was a very efficient packer and that my receipts looked good and sent me on my way.  If the first officer had just looked at my receipts he would have seen that the numbers matched exactly what I was declaring and that I had my credit card out to pay, but oh well.












I also mentioned that I went to Hawaii in June, all I can say about that is while it is beautiful and the weather was great, it was really really expensive.  If I hadn’t had a bonus from work I don’t know that my husband and I could have done much in the way of tourism.  We did a ton of walking, a lot of eating and generally just relaxing.   I really needed this trip after my trials and tribulations of my miscarriage and it helped my husband and me to finish dealing with the emotional aspect of this and to really reconnect.  We spent a lot of time just walking hand in hand, sitting on the beach and soaking each other in.  The flights home sucked bad, I can honestly say that red eye flights are just the worst idea ever.  We left at 10PM on Friday night and got home 11AM on Saturday, by the end of it I felt like I was floating because of utter exhaustion.  I was also not that impressed with West Jet because they just crammed us on that plane and it was so uncomfortable to try to sleep.






But after all my trips I am back home and have been sewing like a mad beast for the last 15 days and I am burnt absolutely out.  I have about another 9 days of work and then I will post pictures of all the outfits but I think I need another vacation.   If my contract offered to send me anywhere with her airmiles I think I would take that instead of a paycheck.  I honestly just want to go back to NYC.

With love,
Mame

No comments:

Post a Comment